Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Timing Is Everything

So I told you recently about Todd, my friend Catherine's best bud who lives in LA. We met just before Christmas. I just got back from visiting Todd in sunny southern California where it was unseasonably chilly and rainy. This was my first time to LA and Palm Springs so one would imagine that I would have a million and one things I wanted to see. The only thing I had on the agenda was to spend some time with Todd and to visit Craft Restaurant.

Since Todd came to North Carolina at Christmas we have been talking on the phone two and three times a day, texting, emailing and we have completed three full rounds of 20 questions via email. Flowers were involved, fed-ex has shipped various items for us and we have had conversations at midnight that make me blush when I think about them. So I got into LA midday on Friday and there was Todd in the airport waiting for me when I got off the escalator headed to baggage claim, grinning from ear to ear in a charcoal gray pinstripe suit and a really hot blue shirt. I had butterflies in my stomach the minute I saw him.

It was just like you would see in a movie, we embraced and kissed, you know the kind of kiss... a full on DNA swapping kind of kiss. We had been waiting for over three weeks to see each other again and we finally had our moment. I don't think either one of us thought about the several hundred people walking past us as we kissed. It just felt great to hold a man and to kiss someone that I have been thinking about every day since Christmas.

After a brief stop for lunch Todd drove me back to his condo in Hollywood and showed me his place. It is a beautiful condo in a mid-rise building with extraordinary views of downtown LA and yes even the Hollywood sign can be seen from his kitchen and office. Todd told me his office had strict orders not to call him all day so we just took the day for ourselves.

Anybody who knows me well knows that I am a quasi foodie. I love me some good food so Todd was a sweetie and booked us a reservation at Craft and drove us across town. For you non-foodie people Craft is Tom Colicchio's restaurant, and Tom would be one of the judges on Top Chef (on Bravo) which is one of my favorite shows on t.v. So there we were at Craft, Todd ordered the champagne and wine and I ordered the appetizers and main courses. Todd of course spoke perfect French when ordering the wine...he had me at hello.

For dinner we had Quail and Prawns for appetizers and then they brought out diver hand picked Sea Scallops and Venison. The meal was really great, the company though...now that made it the most memorable ever. The meal was impeccable. Todd and I made our way back to the car and headed back to his condo for some much needed sleep.

It was a wonderful long weekend together. The kind of weekend that left us both wanting more. The kind of weekend that left us both scratching our heads and asking how on earth are we gonna make this work? We asked each other lots of difficult questions. For now we are committed to taking it one day at a time. Timing is everything and if it is meant to be then in time we will figure out all of the details.

1 comment:

Fran said...

*Swoon* I love the sound of a love post in the morning. Your heart sounds so alive Rick, so very alive. Wow.

If it is meant to work out it will. In the meantime, enjoy every moment of what is.

I must run to work, I am so glad that I read this as it will be on my heart and lift me all day!

xxoxoxo to you from me. Less exciting than Todd, but filled with sincerity and affection for you and your situation.

And I love LA - used to live there myself. A fine town.