Wednesday, March 3, 2010

LA - Revisited

I know I have been pretty much AWOL for the last two months, it's just been really crazy here at the Ponderosa. There has been much going on. For starters I have been working diligently on my new project at work and getting contracts and purchase orders written. Since the ground breaking we have been working on site utilities and improvements. The building contractor will be starting next week and I will be able to finally see some real tangible progress.

Over a month ago I headed to Orlando for our International Tech. Meeting...I refer to it as the Geek Squad for Highway Construction...It was actually a big deal for me as this was the first time I was to formally present to the group. Around forty of our best and brightest from around the world were assembled to hear presentations and I was included in this elite group. In the meeting we were all handed headsets and there was a soundproof booth in the back for the translators. The presenters were translated in French and English simultaneously in real time. Yeah, it can make a man nervous.

The morning I was to give my presentation Todd arrived at the crack of dawn and crawled in bed with me before I had to go downstairs and present. It really calmed my nerves to have a friendly face there and to have someone to hug me and tell me that I would do okay. I gave my presentation with just a few flubs, overall it was a 6.5 on a scale of one to ten. I was just pleased that I managed to get through it without vomiting.

Once all of the work stuff was completed then the fun part of the trip began. It was Valentines weekend with my sweetie who had flown all the way from LA to be with me. We ate great food, drank wonderful wine, had massages and generally just enjoyed each other for the weekend. We learned what a fight looks like and we were able to laugh about it in the end. It was sweetest and the most decadent Valentines weekend of my life.

There are times that this whole long distance relationship thingy gets complicated, really really complicated. The wonderful thing about Todd and I is that we talk, a lot. I am the guy who has not had a land line in over a decade yet went out and got one so that we could have conversations without getting a dropped call. Last month we talked over three thousand minutes. With a three hour time difference it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that we talk a lot.

We also both recently learned about Skype. If you don't know what that is google it and get it. It is a great way to have a conversation online with video and it works really well. It is easily installed for us non techies and even I had it up and running in an about an hour.

I once again headed to the airport to board a plane so I could go and see this incredible man that I am undeniably in love with. He knows it, I know it and over the next year we are both going to be busy figuring out how to make this thing called a long distance relationship work.

The trip was lots of fun. He does not cook so the kitchen barely contained spices, and finding four forks to match is a challenge. Todd went off to work and so off to Target I went and set about providing the kitchen with the staples anyone would need to prepare a decent dinner. Well at the very least it is now a step up from camping. I made two meals, vegetarian chili and then on Saturday night I prepared salmon fillets with salad and asparagus. We worked together as a team to entertain one of his friends for dinner and I think we did great together.

I drove us to Palm Springs the next morning where we met up with our friend Catherine who introduced us. Catherine was in Palm Springs on a little mini vacation so meeting up with her was a lot of fun. We had abandoned Todd's condo, a mere two block from Kodak Theater because as I learned from the experience helicopters hovering outside the building shake the windows and make it hard to hear a television and each other.

The next step is that Todd is coming here to Charlotte, land of bankers and rednecks to visit me at the Ponderosa. We are both adjusting to the life of a long distance relationship. Neither of us were looking for this. Hell I am the kind of guy who did not want to date someone who lived on the other side of town let alone a guy who lives on the west coast but here we are, both of us are in this and we are in it to make it work.

For at least the next year or close to it we are going to navigate this thing called a Long Distance Relationship (LDR) and we are going to see where it goes and what journey we end up on. I know this much, I am happy, I am in love and I am taking what life sends me one day at a time.

PS: I am still not smoking! The house is still under renovations. More on that to follow. :)

2 comments:

Fran said...

Great to hear from you! Glad to hear all is going well with live and love.

Take good care and be well - enjoy it all.

rtfgvb7809 said...

IS VERY GOOD..............................